Aesthetica’s dermal therapists aim to produce and tailor natural, full-bodied looking lips that complements your own facial structure.
Lip reshaping and enhancement using injectable products are a safe and cheaper alternative to more invasive cosmetic surgery procedures.
Aesthetica’s dermal therapists will advise you on the best product to achieve your desired look. This will depend on the 1) skin type 2) how your lips are shaped 3) how long you want the effect to last. There is a great deal of variability between products, and, unfortunately the price of the product reflects how long that product will last. This should be kept in mind when choosing your product.
Beautiful shaped lips do complement facial proportions and make the face look young and rejuvenated. Let’s face it, we all would love to have full bodied natural lips. Now you can. Using a small, fine micro-needle, filler-like gel of totally non-animal origin is injected into the lips. Injection of soft gels into the lips is a simple technique for plumping up the lips. The gel plumps up the lips and contours their shape. Our dermal therapists strive to keep things subtle and natural, enhancing your own lip’s structure and shape.
It is suitable for both men and women of any age whose lips have lost volume with age or if your lips are flat to begin with.
Once the gel is injected into lips, the gel becomes part of the naturally present surrounding collagen and does not move to other parts of the body.
The gel is eventually metabolised by the body and is not toxic. It varies from person to person as to how long the effects last but, a guide is upwards of nine months. It can be “topped-up” as required, say every nine months to a year.
Results are immediate and there are really no adverse after-effects except for some mild swelling and possible bruising.
Most patients find the injections themselves are relatively painless, as a local anaesthetic is used. Some do report mild discomfort.
Lip enhancement has become an increasingly popular, relatively simple non-surgical procedure for teenagers, men and women of all ages who want to add a bit of “oomph” to their lips.
Some gels are temporary while others last longer and this should be discussed with our dermal therapists during the consultation. Temporary solutions appeal to many people who just want to experiment with puffier, fuller, looking lips. Yet for others, who are certain the new appearance of their lips is for them, more permanent substances can be used.
WHAT ACTUALLY IS USED?
It is actually “filler-like gel” of totally non-animal origin. This gel is found naturally occurring in skin and helps joints slide. The gel is called Hyaluronic Gel. The gel absorbs moisture from the skin and fills out the lips.
DOES IT HURT?
No. A numbing cream is used or an injection of local anaesthetic to numb the area.
HOW LONG WILL IT LAST?
This depends on the individual and the product used. On average three to 12 months.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO DO?
Treatment takes about 30 minutes.
CAN I HAVE IT WITH OTHER TREATMENTS?
IS IT SAFE?
LIP ENHANCEMENT AFTERCARE
DIRECTLY AFTER INJECTABLE TREATMENT
- Mild discomfort. This is normal and is related to the small needle going into the skin.
- Bruising is a normal body process. Some people bruise more than others. The tendency to bruise is related to one’s genetics, or smoking and some medications, such as aspirin, will make bruising worse. Bruises settle within one week although obviously this depends on the individual.
- This is variable and normally settles within 12 to 24 hours.
- This is variable, but again normal. The lips are one of the body’s most sensitive structures, hence our desire to use them intimately. Swelling is very common.
- This is normal and will settle once the swelling settles. Dr Colagrande will show you how to massage your lips to even out the irregularities.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
- You are able to use make-up directly after the injectable procedure.
- Use of ice packs over the area treated helps with the discomfort and swelling.
- Paracetamol for a few days is very helpful with the discomfort.
- Massage the areas as shown by our dermal therapists to encourage evenness before the gel sets. You will do no damage to the treated area.
- Arnica can be purchased over the counter at your chemist and will help soothe the discomfort and lessen the bruising.
- You are able to fly the same day.
WHAT NOT TO DO
- Do not aggressively test your lips the evening of the procedure as they need to rest.
- Do not sunbathe or use sun beds for 48 hours.
- Do not use dirty hands when gently massaging the lips.